Your Favorite Beatles Song

« Older   Newer »
CindySweetin
view post Posted on 18/7/2010, 18:46

What's your favourite Beatles song? I come across this question so many times and I never really know what to answer. I definitely couldn't pick one! There are so many absolute gems either from John, Paul or George. So here is a list:

- Here, There and Everywhere
Such a beautiful love song, maybe the best love song ever written (along with John's Oh My Love and George's Something). Something SO special about it that it makes it so different from any other song.

- Here Comes The Sun
Absolute classic. When I first heard it, it was very very late winter, just when the snow was starting to melt... Beautiful memories and always the song that can get you in a good mood

- The Long and Winding Road
Whenever I'm sad I listen to it. Well, maybe not always but a LOT. It just reminds me what they were all going through when they were breaking up, so much pain and tears. And it really gives you the strength to solve your problems and look on the bright side!

- Across The Universe
Love John's singing on it! And the lyrics are just stunning! I really dig the remastered version with the birds in the beginning...

- Blackbird
One of the reasons are blackbirds themselves, which are one of my favourite animals. The other is the guitar playing on it, Paul's shoe-tapping. Just a wonderful song!

- Yesterday

A contender for THE favourite song of all time...

- Norwegian Wood
I love the mysterious lyrics and the sitar.

- I've Just Seen A Face
Wonderful guitar playing and nice singing.

I guess that's it but I probably forgot some haha... Can't wait to see your favorites :D

spaceastronaut
view post Posted on 19/7/2010, 17:57

Here are a few of mine, according to each individual Beatle. They're in no particular order:

John:
I'm Only Sleeping:
There's something about this song just seems so... John-ish/Lennon-ish about it. Probably the lines: "Everybody seems to think I'm lazy... I don't mind, I think they're crazy. It just shows that he remains unaffected by other people's thinking, you know? Plus, for some weird reason, George's backward guitar solo always makes me feel nostalgic. It's totally eerie.

Yes It Is:
This song makes me feel nostalgic as well. It's really creepy how strongly I feel for it. Almost like... I feel like it was written for me? In a past life, well. And now I've single-handedly managed to make you think I'm mental, lol. -facepalm-

Girl:
This song is such a great ballad. I love hearing John's breathing on there, and the guitars at the end.

--

Paul:
Here, There and Everywhere:
I have to agree with CindySweetin. This is such a beautiful love song. And the fact that John considered it one of The Beatles' best recordings just makes me love it all the more.
Fun Fact: I'm planning to dance this at my wedding, next to another waltz that's kind of a family tradition.

Helter Skelter:
Just--Paul's screaming... Oh, my. The term "songasm" is definitely appropriate here. And then Ringo's line at the end! It's such a dirty, epic song.

Cayenne:
Haha, I know this is a bit of an unusual selection, but I am genuinely obsessed with this little instrumental. If I ever get to meet Paul, and he offers to teach me one Beatles song, I'd totally go for this one.

--

George:
I Want You (She's So Heavy):
Again, songams! I just love George's vocals in this one. And Paul's bass!

I Me Mine:
Personally, I would've loved this song even more if they hadn't included those little hard-rock-type bits in which they belt out with, "I, me, me, mine!". It maybe just me, but I would've preferred it if it had just been kept with the same, slow rhythm all throughout. But I do love the message that George is speaking about.

The Continuing Story of Bunaglow Bill:
I can't really explain why I love this song so much. I just do, haha. And Yoko's vocals make me giggle; she sounds so cute!

--

Ringo:
Boys:
I remember I was like, majorly obsessed with this song when I fell for Ringo. I just love the whole up-beat beat to it. XD And Ringo's drumming skills make me jealous.

Yellow Submarine:
I think everyone feels the same way about this song as I do, so there's no need to explain myself here.

If You've Got Trouble:
Haha, I kind of feel like Ringo's sort of standing up for himself, as it were. Like, no one really paid attention to him and took him for granted, and here he's like, "I've got a life, you know. I EXIST!". XD

CindySweetin
view post Posted on 19/7/2010, 18:10

Haha, love your description of Yes It Is ;)
And Girl- don‘t know why I didn‘t mention this one...I really love the dirty tit-tit-tit-tit bit...Typical Beatles.

P.S: Didn‘t John write I Want You (She‘s So Heavy)...?

spaceastronaut
view post Posted on 19/7/2010, 18:34

QUOTE (CindySweetin @ 19/7/2010, 19:10)
And Girl- don‘t know why I didn‘t mention this one...I really love the dirty tit-tit-tit-tit bit...Typical Beatles.

XD Oh, man. You've got me blushing now! :P

I DO, TOO! XDDDD I can't help but to giggle and sing along whenever that part comes on.

P.P.S. Erm--Let me check. -opens music library- Hm, it says he did... But George is the one singing it. Wow, I can't believe I've never noticed this before! It's a bit strange, seeing as George was writing a lot of songs towards the end of The Beatles.

lovelyrita
view post Posted on 19/7/2010, 19:19

I really love all the Beatles' songs, but I have a bunch of little favorites:

Within You Without You
This has got to be my top favorite. I love the words in this song and just the overall message ^^ and the music and stuff... everything about it... I can listen to it for hours on end.

Lovely Rita
For this song, I don't even remember how I started listening to it, but when I listened: I loved it. I don't know, there's things about their songs that just make me love them.. >w< idk, the same thing every time: I just love it for the words, the way it's sung, the way it's played, etc.

Polythene Pam (just so simple and cute..)
When I bought the Abbey Road album I came across this song and I eventually put it on repeat because I liked it so much (though it was part of a medley). I just really like how fast and quick it is, and the words: and the way John sings it :;D

Yes it Is
There's a Place
Words of Love
I'll Follow the Sun
etc..

All of these songs are my favorites.. Yes it Is and There's a Place &etc don't have a reason for my favorite cos I can't seem to put them into words. I can't really do that with any of the Beatles songs I really find as my favorites. It's just.. like.. self explanatory. It's there. I just love their music.

masteryoffear
view post Posted on 20/7/2010, 08:30

It's easier to list the songs I don't like. I am going to limit this to the first ten or so songs that come to mind first, because I could go on for awhile.

Let it Be-I can't be sad when I listen to this song. "There is still a light that shines on me".

In My Life-Most beautiful love song ever. Hands down. As much as I love McCartney for his love song, somehow Lennon created this masterpiece. If I am ever lucky enough to find a man who is willing to put up with me, this will be my wedding song.

She's Leaving Home-Can you hear the emotion in McCartney's voice?! My god. And Lennon doing the chorus? A fine display of the Lennon/McCartney partnership. And I love the story, how the parents are all "we sacrificed most of our lives" and "how could she do this to me", but we also see the girl's perspective,"stepping outside she is free". It's such a melodic song.

Because-"Love is old, love is new/Love is all, love is you". What more do I need to say? It's a very resonating song about the world.

Hey Jude-You know you can't resist singing the "Na na na na na" part.There are so many wonderful parts in the lyrics, my favorite is "So let it out and let it in/Hey Jude begin/You're waiting for/someone to perform with/And don't you know that it's just you/Hey Jude you'll do" and "And any time you feel the pain, Hey Jude, refrain". Genius. Plus the fact that this song was written by Paul for Julian makes it more beautiful.

Dear Prudence-Another song that is made more beautiful by the story behind it.

Lady Madonna-I love the tune. I love the story behind it.

Blackbird-Inspirational. Another one similar to Let it Be in the sense that it lifts your spirits.

Penny Lane:-The part where Paul says "very strange" gets me every time.

Rocky Raccoon-The first Beatles song that I liked. It's catchy. Silly, but there is an undertone of seriousness.

The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill-Same as Rocky Raccoon.

Long Long Long-Love the Indian influence.

Within You Without You-Great message.

For No One
-I love angst filled Paul as much as I love sickly adorable Paul.

Golden Slumbers/Carry that Weight/The End-Wonderful medley. And you won't find anything more true than the last line.

I am forcing myself to stop now!

CindySweetin
view post Posted on 20/7/2010, 09:50

I totally forgot She's Leaving Home. How can someone write such a wise song with this kind of a life-lesson when only 24/25 y/o. It always makes me think!

Great choices masteryoffear! (well, can't think of many bad chosen Beatles' songs lol!).
Does anyone have like one favourite Beatles song? (one and JUST one ;))
I always think this is such a hard thing to pick!

lovelyrita
view post Posted on 20/7/2010, 22:25

I forgot to mention how much I love Martha My Dear! xD
I listened to it non-stop when I was on a plane going back to my school. I was doing an assignment I hadn't finished.. XD It took so many hours! lol.

CindySweetin
view post Posted on 20/7/2010, 22:26

Martha My Dear is a lovely little song yeah! Unfortunately, my chemistry teacher was called Martha and I can‘t stand chemistry.... :X

lovelyrita
view post Posted on 20/7/2010, 22:28

awww =_=
I forgot to mention that I am quite fond of George's "Do You Want to Know a Secret" and "I'm Happy Just to Dance with You". And "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".. and I like That Means a Lot... UGH here I go listing all their songs. *slaps self
D:
and Real Love..

OH GOD. AHHHHH

iammeanttolive
view post Posted on 20/7/2010, 22:30

QUOTE (spaceastronaut @ 19/7/2010, 19:34)
QUOTE (CindySweetin @ 19/7/2010, 19:10)

XD Oh, man. You've got me blushing now! :P

I DO, TOO! XDDDD I can't help but to giggle and sing along whenever that part comes on.

P.P.S. Erm--Let me check. -opens music library- Hm, it says he did... But George is the one singing it. Wow, I can't believe I've never noticed this before! It's a bit strange, seeing as George was writing a lot of songs towards the end of The Beatles.

John sings I Want You (She's So Heavy).... :unsure:

lovelyrita
view post Posted on 20/7/2010, 22:33

@ Above post .. that's what I was thinking D:

masteryoffear
view post Posted on 20/7/2010, 22:35

QUOTE (CindySweetin @ 20/7/2010, 23:26)
Martha My Dear is a lovely little song yeah! Unfortunately, my chemistry teacher was called Martha and I can‘t stand chemistry.... :X

My English teacher is named Michelle! I try not to think about it too much :P

lovelyrita
view post Posted on 20/7/2010, 22:36

QUOTE (masteryoffear @ 20/7/2010, 16:35)
QUOTE (CindySweetin @ 20/7/2010, 23:26)

My English teacher is named Michelle! I try not to think about it too much :P

One of my close friends is named after their song Michelle ^^

breedofrandy
view post Posted on 20/7/2010, 22:36

I really love Something, it's always been a favorite of mine.

43 replies since 18/7/2010, 18:46   315 views